Serves 12 (2 Tbs each)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2½ tsp. ground chili powder
- ¼ tsp. ground paprika
- ¼ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
- 1 cup ketchup, reduced-sugar
- ¼ cup raw honey
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. yellow mustard
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ tsp. liquid smoke (optional)
- Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add chili powder, paprika, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add ketchup, honey, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and liquid smoke (if desired); cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- After cooling, consider blending or food processing on high speed until consistency is smooth.
• Look for ketchup that has an ingredient list that does not contain artificial sweeteners, additives, or preservatives. There are many brands on the market that are sweetened with small amounts of natural sugar, honey, or maple syrup.
• This barbecue sauce is best when made a day before using. It allows the flavors to meld together.